Good news. Wisconsin is proposing an anti bullying law in 2009.
I’ve reviewed the proposed Wisconsin law and as it stands, I would give it a B+. Using www.BullyPolice.org/grade.html as my grading guide...
1) The word "bullying" is used in the text of the bill/law/statutes.
2) The law is clearly an anti bullying law, not a school safety law.
3) There is a requirement for definitions of bullying and harassment.
4) There are recommendations on how to make policy and what needs to be in the model policy.
½ point for number 5) A good law involves education specialists at all levels, starting with the State Superintendent's (Education) office.... but the law only goes this far and doesn't require buy-in with School Districts, Schools, Parents and Students.
6) This law mandates anti bullying programs
7) There is a date the model policy is due, when the schools need to have their policies in place. My only thought here is why the date is March 1, 2010 (and August 15, 2010 for School Boards). Is the Wisconsin State Dept of Ed notoriously slow at getting things done?
8) There is a requirement for protection against reprisal, retaliation or false accusation.
MISSING - 9) There must be school district protection against lawsuits upon compliance to policies.
MISSING - 10) A top rated law will put the emphasis on the victims of bullying by assigning counseling for victims who suffer for years after peer abuse.
½ point for number 11) This law does require mandatory posting and/or notification of policies and reporting procedures for students and parents.
MISSING - 12) Cyberbullying or "Electronic Harassment" law.